24.2.13

So many, many things.

I've been not-so-good at being timely about keeping up with this blog or properly maintaining my website because I have been so wrapped up in amazing projects and collaborations.  Mostly, I'm busy with working with the Parsons Scholars, masterminding with my favorite people in the Inheritance Process Collaborative, executing an IP project with Girls for Gender Equity's Urban Leaders Academy middle school program, and doing two projects with Groundswell - one of which is another Navy Yard mural.  I'm also doing lots of freelance, and trying to find time to take showers, do laundry, brush my teeth and heat up frozen trader joe's meals on a hotplate at the new house I just moved into.  So bear with me :)  I'm so lucky to get to do the work I do, and to work with the amazing, inspiring people in my life.  Here's a sneak peek at some things I've been up to.


This is a pencil sketch for an installation organized by Groundswell.  My collaborators are a group of brilliant High School aged women, and our theme is women's health and empowerment.  The piece will be installed at an OB-GYN.  After doing a series of guided visualizations and tableaus exercises, the young women wrote reflections.  These poses and the quote were by them.

This is a commemorative poster for New Jersey's 1199 SEIU's women's day event.  I was super hype to work on this - any opportunity to support my fellow working Jersey Grrrrls, and I'm in there like swimwear.

Also, I got a new tattoo. I had a really challenging situation happen a few weeks back, and it got me reflecting on themes of self-protection and trust. I asked myself, "What is positive transformation? What is safety? What is protection? What is self-defense? How do we defend ourselves? One another? How do women protect our bodies? Our spirits? Our hearts?" For me, tattoos are deeply personal, and are acts of ritual and manifestation. I have been using the circle-circle-dot-dot in my Ok Stupid series for a year or two now, and thought it was time to commit to it's representation in my life. I called on the joyful, loving girl-culture of my youth. When boys would chase us, or bother us, or hurt our feelings, or touch us when we didn't want it, we'd soothe one another, come together, and defend one another against the boys and heal and protect ourselves with cootie shots. I decided it was time to innoculate. Thanks to Nick Wallin for this quickie! I recommend him, for sure.
Circle-Circle-Dot-Dot; Now I Got my Cootie Shot

Also....some joints I've been bumping on repeat lately.






1 comments:

Post a Comment
  1. Looks beautiful, will check out the music too, not familiar with any of them :)

Post a Comment